Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My cinnamon bun saga

I've a confession to make-I have a massive obsession with this breakfast/lunch/dinner/dessert any-time food named cinnamon bun.  Whoever created it is a genius in my books, however, it is not just any ole recipe that does this to me. The cinnamon bun that affects my senses and weakens my knees are the ones that is soft to the touch with multiple layers, a good portion of ooey gooey stickiness sitting at the bottom of the pan; smothered in pecans, or the top with a slight coating of cream cheese icing. 

OK, OK, I know that is enough calories to cover a days' worth of meals, snacks, alcoholic beverages and dessert, but come on, to indulge once per week is so worth the extra lap around the block...make that mmm two? Now, don't post any lecturing comments, cause I'm sure you have your own obsessive indulgence that isn't all healthy either.

My rant today is about trying various recipes to make the ideal C buns, but coming up short, short on ah, everything; from the taste to texture. I've tried four recipes so far, and my big problem is not the dough, but the syrup at the bottom somehow gets observed into the bun, and the finished product is void of any goo. Yes I know I can visit the Laughing Bean Cafe and pick up their amazing C bun, but I want to make my own. If you love to cook and bake you do not give up when a recipe gets an "F" grade, heck no, determination rises to improve and perfect until you are completely satisfied with the taste-just the way you've envisioned it.

Not one to toot my own horn, but I usually "get" a recipe after a few tries...not this one:( , and the worst part about this is, it's a big favourite of mine. I can't shake it, and please don't tell me to let it go.
If you can provide me with any tips or suggestion; especially if you've made this goodness before and it's the cat's meow, then please share, I appreciate it very much.

Tell me about a recipe that has stumped you to a F and how you came back with A grade.

To your health and enjoyment!

No comments:

Post a Comment