Friday, September 7, 2012

Appreciate Food

My enjoyment and appreciation of food continues to expand and this summer I have discovered  there are certain foods I prepare has a greater affect on my mood, weather, and company.  As I continue to be more enlightened not just about the art of cooking good food, I have gained a new respect for cooks of all walks of life and genres. Home cook Christine from the current series of Master Chef hosted by Gordon Ramsay is a prime example.
Christine lost her sight, but has consistently created tasty dishes; the presentation, plating, colours and textures of every dish has been beyond impressive.  She has won against 16 other "home cooks" and is in the finals  to win the title against another contestant.  Her attitude, technique and sense of taste has amazed me.

I have learned that regardless of the simplicity, complexity or cost of creating the dish your heart has to be in it. The finished product has to make an impact therefore it needs heart.  Here are a few points that I have found to be helpful to me in the kitchen.


  • Heart or passion has to be there. You have to be excited about your menu, and ingredients you're going to work with.
  • Vision is another important component of creating an outstanding dish.  You have to see the complete plated meal before your hands get moving.
  • Preparation is the key to a smooth flow in the kitchen.  Being disorganize will not only slow you down but can affect the outcome of your dish the way you've envisioned it.
  • Choose Fresh working with fresh over dry herbs does make a world of difference, so whenever possible   choose fresh.

OK, that's it for today,until next week.

I hope you enjoy and to your health!

TIP of the Week:
Buy fresh herbs when in season, blend and add a bit of salt and olive oil and store in the fridge in air tight glass jars for up to 6 months.

No comments:

Post a Comment